Yahoo! has introduced a new Search Monkey feature that allows web masters to embed videos, games and documents directly into their Yahoo! search results. You don’t have to build a special application to access this feature, just include a few lines of semantic markup information and the Yahoo! crawler will do the rest.
Once you have included the markup information, your video, game or document (such as a presentation) will appear as an enhanced result in the SERPs. Is this a bonus for web masters?
The downside is that as an enhanced result, a click on the video image for example, am expanded video screen will drop down enabling the user to view the video from within the search results. Why a downside? The user is not actually visiting your web pages.
The upside? If your video is a promotional type video – such as a video advertisement, the user can view the ad without going to your site. If they video contents send the right message and click to visit your site, you will have a highly targeted visitor. Conversions from this group should be fairly high.
As I mentioned, it will not lead to more traffic, possibly less. That traffic may be better targeted only time will tell.
I wonder though whether or not users will actually click on these videos if they are all going to be promotional in nature. How many users click to see video ads – apart from those that become famous (or infamous). I cannot see web masters putting ‘how to’ type videos into their search results – unless they can get clever and put video snippets in with an invitation to visit the web site for the full version – but then that is still a promo video isn’t it.
Used cleverly this may be a plus for many business owners. It means more work added to the regular SEO routine. It is a step in the right direction by Yahoo! but I doubt it will do much to increase their presence as a search engine.
- Common Mistakes That Could Spoil Your Internal Links
- Do You Have Analytics On All Your Pages?
- Optimizing For Local Traffic – Foot Traffic That Is
- Enhance Your Blogging Using Featured Writers
- Social Marketing – Can You Claim To Have Been Everywhere?
- When Should You Consider Dedicated Hosting?
- Good SEO Includes A Good Spring Clean Up
- Search Monkey Allows Embedded Videos And Games
- Link Building – How Many Links Are Too Many Links?
- What Value Is There In Traffic From Social Marketing?